Saturday, April 20, 2019

The Lehman Trilogy

Today is my first post as a blogger.  The play "The Lehman Trilogy" motivated me to write, although I must confess I have been thinking about it for some time. The only hesitation was due to conduct rules but I will surmount them by restricting to personal observations of non-official nature.

The play I saw last night is the epitome of artistic excellence, whether it is the script, the actors, the set, the coordination, special effects or the even the the venue: Park Avenue Armory. It lasted more than 3 hours but the audience sat there captivated. It is mind boggling to even think how the director conceived the play involving many characters but portrayed by only three actors. This is the masterstroke. The actors also effortlessly and seamlessly move from one character to the other. There was not a single forgotten dialogue or a mis-step. It was clock work precision delivered by three great actors Simon Russell Beale, Adam Godley and Ben Miles on a moving stage. I would dare to say that this play beats staple Broadway musical fares, a few of which I have got to see.

The quintessential American theme spanning almost two centuries surrounding Jewish immigration into the US, their entrepreneurship and successes which built the US and the rise and falling apart of the exalted Lehman Bros is riveting and relevant even in contemporary times.

One hopes that similar art emerges surrounding the corporates who built India, Tatas, Birlas, Ambanis among others. One anecdote I have heard is about a conversation between Jamshedji Tata and Swami Vivekananda on the board the ship which Swamiji took to Japan enroute to the US. Apparently, Swamiji encouraged Jameshetji to manufacture in India. These will be interesting stories to tell and hear.

This is the first work of Sam Mendes that I saw. Thoroughly impressed, I am already looking forward to seeing The Ferryman, which has been running in New York for sometime.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely done, exhaustive, realistic & well articulated write up 👍.

    ReplyDelete

Dancing Ferns of Sumatra

  “Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” - Roald Dahl   From the moment we, Taruna, my wife, and I, learnt that we would...